On Thursday, July 2, 2020 Dona Ana Community Elementary School collaborated with La Semilla Food Center and the NMSU STEM Outreach Center to provide 100 students and their families with a home gardening kit.
Home container garden kits included all of the materials needed to grow summer vegetables at home and allow students the opportunity to care for plants from seed through harvest.
La Semilla will host four virtual gardening classes to guide families to a successful container garden and answer questions throughout the summer.
After the summer concludes, families will have the opportunity to receive additional seeds to continue growing in the fall season.
Each home garden kits includes:
· (3) 20-gallon plastic pots
· (3) 50-quart bags of potting mix
· (1) 64-inch Tomato cages
· (1) 42-inch galvanized steel tomato cage
· (1) 2-gallon galvanized watering can
· (1) 50-foot hose, (1) hose nozzle
· (1) tomato plant, (1) chile pepper plant
· Cucumber, squash and melon seeds
Covid-19 Pick up instructions: In an effort to minimize contact and protect our community, please be prepared to follow the following safe pickup procedure:
1. Please bring a mask and wear it throughout the entire pick up process.
2. Before arriving at DAES, please ensure the trunk or back seat of your vehicle is empty to allow space for all of the materials listed above.
3. Upon arrival, there will be two stations to pick up garden materials. Please stay in your vehicle and open your trunk or car door and a volunteer will place the materials in your vehicle for you. Then proceed to the second station to receive the rest of the materials.
VIRTUAL GARDEN CLASS SCHEDULE:
Thursday, July 2nd, 2020: Garden set up, Planting and Watering
Wednesday, July 13th, 2020: Keeping Plants Healthy and Productive
Wednesday, July 27th, 2020: Pollination, Pests and Diseases
Wednesday, August 10th, 2020: Harvest and Season Transition