Mayfield High School will meet up with Las Cruces High Friday, Sept. 17. The longstanding rivalry game – one of the biggest in the nation since 1965 – will kick off at 7 p.m. inside Las Cruces Public Schools’ Field of Dreams, located on the corner of Motel Boulevard and Tashiro Road.
According to LCPS Athletic Director Ernie Viramontes, 5,000 tickets will be sold for each high school beginning Sept. 14. Tickets are $5 each and no tickets will be sold at the stadium the day of the event. Mayfield will be the home team, with fans on the west side of the stands, and Las Cruces will be the visiting team on the east side of the stadium.
“It’s exciting to feel a sense of normalcy with the return of regular-season football in the fall here in Las Cruces,” said Viramontes. “This longstanding rivalry game adds to that excitement.”
Viramontes added that space will be limited in the parking lots at the Field of Dreams. Because of that, no RVs, tents or canopies will be allowed, and spaces are limited to one vehicle each. Mayfield fans are asked to enter the stadium through Motel Boulevard and park on the west side of the stadium. Las Cruces fans will enter the stadium through Tashiro and will park on the east side.
“We ask fans to be patient and cooperative with bag inspections at the gate and use caution when exiting the parking lots,” said Viramontes.
This is the first time in regular season play that the rivalry game will be at the Field of Dreams, said Viramontes. The teams played each other in a delayed-season game on March 13, 2021. Las Cruces bested Mayfield, 23-6.
What you need to know
- Tickets are $5 each and will be sold from 5 to 7 p.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 14 and Wednesday, Sept. 15 at the Field of Dreams. LCHS tickets will be at Gate 1 and MHS tickets will be at Gate 6.
- Tickets will also be available at Mayfield High School and Las Cruces High on Thursday, Sept. 16 and Friday, Sept. 17 from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. No tickets will be sold at the Field of Dreams on game day.
- Bags, purses and backpacks will be subject to search at the gate.
- No tents, canopies or RVs in the parking lots.
- Space is limited; only one vehicle per parking space in both the east and west parking lots.
- Gates open at 5 p.m. on Friday.
-Kelly Jameson is the public information officer for Las Cruces Public Schools