The Las Cruces Public Schools Institutional Review Board (IRB) is committed to supporting quality research that addresses questions of educational importance and contributes to the improvement of the educational program in the District.
All individuals interested in conducting research in LCPS must submit a completed application packet (ILD-E1). Failure to submit required materials or multiple submissions may cause processing delays. Submit the application forms and all attachments to Carla Guerra at: email@example.com
Approval from LCPS Institutional Review Board is not required, and an application for exemption can be completed, when ALL three of the following conditions are met:
- The researchers are LCPS employees who, within the bounds of their job responsibilities, have direct access to all data and/or participants needed for the study (e.g., a teacher studying his/her students’ writing improvement);
- The employees’ immediate supervisor, principal, and/or appropriate department head, has reviewed the study details and given the employee explicit permission to conduct the study; AND
- Study findings will NOT be submitted for publication and will only be presented to a university class and/or at the school where the research took place unless additional permissions are obtained.
If you are unsure of whether your study meets ALL three conditions for exemption, please email your specific question(s)/concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org and a Research Review member will get back to you as quickly as possible.
Researchers will be required to follow the governing procedures and guidelines in relation to visiting school facilities. [See Regulation Code: KI]
- All research must be conducted in compliance with state and federal laws, including the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), and the Protection of Pupil Rights Amendment (PPRA).
- Active parental consent for student participation must be obtained before any individually identifiable student information is released or data is collected.
- Active consent/assent from all subjects must be obtained before any research activity is started.
- Individual students, staff, or schools may not be identified in any report.
- Research projects must not pose any risks to subjects (risks of harm anticipated are no greater than those ordinarily encountered in daily life.)
- Research cannot be conducted in the schools without an official approval letter from the District’s Institutional Review Board.
- No data collection or research activity will be allowed on testing days. Please consult the district’s testing calendar.
- Researchers are responsible for reporting their findings to the district.
- Participation in research studies is voluntary. Schools, principals, teachers and student who do not wish to participate have a right to refusal. Pressure shall not be applied to promote participation.
(Proposed research is reviewed by the IRB on the first Thursday of every month. The research application must be submitted at least one week prior to the scheduled review date. Any applications submitted thereafter will be pushed to the following review period. Final decisions will generally be relayed to applicants within a week of the meeting.)
- LCPS receives ALL application materials
- Application materials screened
- Complete application packets are scheduled for IRB review (refer to IRB Calendar below)
- IRB submits a recommendation to the final approving authority
- Not Recommended
- Recommended with changes (Applicant makes required modifications)
- Final approving authority signs notification letter indicating decision
- IRB provides applicant with a copy of the notification letter
- Applicant seeks school site approval
All Informed Consent Forms for students and/or parents must contain the following items: