The Las Cruces Public Schools Board of Education will begin accepting applications from candidates interested in an appointment in District 1, a position on the board vacated last week by Ray Jaramillo. The deadline for candidates to submit all required documentation is April 12, 2023.
During a special meeting of the Board of Education on Monday, board members approved a process by which the vacancy will be filled, detailed in a letter to the community.
Qualified candidates must meet the following criteria:
- Be a registered voter
- Be 18 years of age or older, and
- Physically reside in District 1
In addition to the legal qualifications, an appointed member of the board must commit to attending regular meetings, work sessions and special board meetings when called, attend additional meetings such as executive sessions, briefings and others as needed, attend committee meetings of the board (such as finance committee meetings or other appointed committees), attend professional trainings and other related district events as warranted.
Those who meet the criteria and are interested in serving must submit the following packet materials by April 12:
- A letter of interest describing by you are interested and why you believe you are a good candidate to fill the vacancy
- A copy (printed on the same day as your signature on your Declaration of Interest) of your Voter Registration Information from the New Mexico Secretary of State Voter Services website, Voter Information Portal, https://voterportal.servis.sos.state.nm.us/WhereToVote.aspx, showing that under current district boundaries your residence is within District 1, and
- A completed and notarized Declaration of Interest. A Declaration of Interest can be found here.
All information that you submit to be considered for appointment to the Board of Education will be considered public records and subject to inspection by the public.
Please email or hand deliver all packet materials, which must be received and timestamped no later than 5 p.m. on April 12, 2023.
Email: Sherley O’Brien at firstname.lastname@example.org, or deliver to:
Las Cruces Public Schools
c/o Sherley O’Brien
505 S. Main Street, Suite 249
Las Cruces, NM 88001
The Board of Education will meet in open session at 1 p.m. on April 19, 2023, at the Dr. Karen M. Trujillo Administration Complex to conduct candidate interviews. The selected candidate will be sworn in before the deadline of April 23, 2023.
Candidates with questions about qualifications or duties of the office can contact LCPS Board of Education President Teresa Tenorio, email@example.com. Information can also be found in the New Mexico School Board Candidate Manual and School Board Member Handbook online at www.nmsba.org.