The National Hispanic Institute (NHI) and the University of New Mexico are partnering to host the 2023 Dionisio "Dennis" Chavez New Mexico LDZ for New Mexico high school students.
This year’s event will host 150 top students in a weeklong leadership experience on the UNM campus June 11-18, 2023, and highlight the legacy of late Dionisio “Dennis” Chavez. The program is made possible with the help of special funding from the New Mexico Legislature introduced by State Sen. Michael Padilla.
Chavez, who served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1931-1935 and in the U.S. Senate from 1935-1962, was the first Hispanic person elected to a full term in the Senate and the first senator to be born in New Mexico.
PROGRAM DATES & LOCATION
Dionisio "Dennis" Chavez New Mexico LDZ | June 11-18, 2023 University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM http://www.unm.edu/
IMPORTANT: This program is for New Mexico students only.
Application Fee - $25 (required to complete application, non-refundable)
IMPORTANT: Full support for the Dionisio "Dennis" Chavez New Mexico LDZ program is made possible through funding by the New Mexico State Legislature for students from New Mexico. Selected students will be named Dennis Chavez Scholars and participate at no cost other than transportation to and from UNM in Albuquerque and a $25 application processing fee.
- 10th or 11th grade students
- Must have a minimum of a 3.2/4.0 grade point average (GPA) or better
- Students from the state of New Mexico
- Enrollment in a college-bound high school graduation plan
- Must upload a copy of a recent report card or transcript when you register
- For admitted students, Parent/Guardian signatures on the Parent Release and Medical Form
- Must meet NHI's requirements for proof of vaccination for COVID-19
- Must complete pre-program online orientations before attending the program
Click the link for more information: https://5il.co/1k5b5
Click here to apply: https://www.nationalhispanicin...